Know More about Organ Donation (What is Cornea Transplantation?)
What is Cornea Transplantation?
- Cornea is a transparent layer on the surface of the eyeball. Scarring of the cornea from injury or disease will result in opacity and blindness. Transplantation with a healthy cornea can help to restore vision.
- Corneal transplant is the most frequently performed tissue transplant in Hong Kong. It carries a high success rate because there are very few instances of rejection.
- The first successful corneal transplant in Hong Kong was performed in 1961.
The criteria for Cornea Donor
- Deceased cornea donor:
- aged below 80
- meet the general criteria for organ/ tissue donation
- cancer is acceptable (except lymphoma, leukemia, myeloma, malignant tumors of ocular or peri-ocular area)
- can be donated within 12 hours after cardiac death
- no history of corneal trauma or disease
- short-sighted or long-sighted persons can be donated
- “Hospital Authority Lions Eye Bank”is responsible for the collection of donated corneas, and then distributed to the public and private hospitals for transplant patient.